i really like seeing other cartoonists do this, so - here’s the process of a page that needed a lot of revising!

Original script & pencils+color rough / Notebook scribbling to figure out changes to paneling, acting, dialogue / New pencils / Final lines &final page! ✨


Since I’ve had a couple asks about it, here’s a few more shots of my process for this watercolor+digital piece! I wasn’t planning to post these, since I had so much trouble getting the original watercolor where I wanted it to go, and made so many mistakes - but hopefully this helps someone! (Some more explanation of my process below the cut!)

My first step was to thumbnail a couple pages in my sketchbook, before moving on to that larger, more detailed rough sketch. Then I went to final lines with a blue watercolor pencil, since I don’t want overall black or grey lines that will make the shadows/lines lose color.  And mechanical pencil for the focal areas that needed the most detail, since my colored pencil doesn’t get into the grooves of watercolor paper very well. 

Before starting my colors I did a few small, quick color studies, which were initially watercolor, and then digital to push them around a little more freely. After choosing to go with #2 up there, I put in the first washes of color on the final piece. This is usually the scariest stage for me, since you have to cover over all that nice lineart you did previously. I start with the sky, because I always mess it up (I’m not very good with flat gradient washes yet) But that initial mistake makes me feel less worried when I’m continuing the piece, since I’ve already messed it up, and nothing worse could happen - so I might as well just jump into the rest of the piece!  After that, I spent about a day working in details over the washes. (Sorry I didn’t take many photos at this stage!) 

At that point I felt a bit stuck with where the piece was headed, so I took a (poorly lit - don’t do that!) photo, and started working on it in photoshop, first adjusting the photo to match my original watercolor, then adding some more darks and lights to certain areas, figuring out what I needed to draw out or push back in space with large washes, and experimenting with big changes like redoing the color of the sky.

 After this I went back to the watercolor and continued where I’d left off, reworking it to match the digital edits as closely as possible. I also used a little bit of gouache at this stage, for flatter areas or spots that needed to be lightened. For the final digital version I shot another (better lit) photo of the final piece, and digitally painted in a little bit more of the intricate areas for the digital and print version. (Also applied size readjustments that I tried in the previous stage, since I realized after I’d put the washes down on the original that some of the characters were very out of perspective :,D)

I hope that helps! If anyone has more specific questions, let me know!